Data Management Glossary
Hybrid Cloud File Data Services
In February 2023, Gartner industry analyst Julia Palmer published published a research article: Modernize Your File Storage and Data Services for the Hybrid Cloud Future. (Blocks & Files summary). According to Gartner, hybrid cloud file data services provide data access, data movement, life cycle management and data orchestration. Komprise is listed as top vendor in this category. The other two categories included in the note are:
- Next-generation file platforms: on-premises filers adding hybrid cloud capability and new software-only file services suppliers (VAST Data, NetApp, Qumulo)
- Hybrid cloud file platforms: providing public cloud-based distributed file services (Ctera, Nasuni, Panzura)
Hybrid cloud file data services refer to the use of file-based storage solutions in a hybrid cloud environment, which combines on-premises infrastructure with cloud resources, allowing organizations to leverage the benefits of both private and public clouds. File data services, in this context, involve the access, management, movement and even storage and retrieval of files and data within a hybrid cloud setup.
In the article: Unstructured Data Growth and AI Give Rise to Data Services, Komprise cofounder and COO Krishna Subramanian summarized the benefits of a data services approach as:
- Holistic visibility and granular search across multiple storage systems and clouds;
- Analytics and insights on data types and usage for more accurate storage decisions;
- Automated, policy-driven actions based on that analysis;
- Reduced security and compliance risks;
- Full use of data wherever it is stored, especially in the cloud;
- User self-service access to support departmental and research needs for data storage, management, and AI workflows;
- Greater flexibility to adopt new storage, backup, and DR technologies because data is managed independently of any vendor technology.
The article concludes:
Above all, data management and storage infrastructure experts will need to shift their thinking and practices from managing storage technologies to understanding and managing data for a variety of purposes. A data storage and data management infrastructure that supports flexibility and agility to shift with organizational data needs will allow IT to make the shift faster and with better outcomes for all.
What are some of the components and features of hybrid cloud file data services?
Still an emerging category, in the Gartner Top Trends in Enterprise Data Storage 2023 report from Gartner (subscription required), it is note that, “by 2027, 60% of Infrastructure and Operations leaders will implement hybrid cloud file deployments, up from 20% in early 2023.” Hybrid cloud file data services “provide data access and data management across edge, cloud and core data center locations through a single global namespace.” The report goes on to note: “Increasingly, enterprises are creating, ingesting and accessing data in edge locations, factories, field offices and retail locations. The data services to analyze or enhance data are typically present in the public cloud, but the workers who collaborate on the data are spread across many geographic locations, raising the demand for a single global namespace.”
Read the white paper: Global Namespace vs Global File System: What is the Difference and Why Does it Matter?
Some of the components and features of hybrid cloud file data services may include:
Data Storage and Management
- On-Premises Storage: Traditional file servers or network-attached storage (NAS) devices located within an organization’s physical premises.
- Cloud Storage: File storage services provided by public cloud providers (e.g., Amazon S3, Azure Blob Storage) for scalable and elastic storage options.
Data Synchronization and Sharing
- Bidirectional Sync: Ensures that data remains consistent across on-premises and cloud environments, allowing users to seamlessly access and update files from either location.
- Collaboration Tools: Integration with collaboration platforms to enable efficient sharing and collaboration on files among users in different locations.
In Gartner’s definition of Hybrid Cloud File Platforms, these features would require a Global File System.
Scalability and Flexibility
- Elastic Scaling: The ability to scale file storage both on-premises and in the cloud based on changing storage requirements.
- Multi-Cloud Support: Compatibility with multiple cloud providers, giving organizations flexibility in choosing the most suitable cloud services for their needs.
Data Security and Compliance
- Encryption: Secure transmission and storage of files through encryption mechanisms, ensuring data confidentiality.
- Compliance Features: Tools and features to help organizations comply with data protection regulations and industry-specific standards.
Data Access and Mobility
- Global Access: Enable users to access files from any location, promoting a mobile and distributed workforce.
- Data Mobility: Facilitate seamless movement of data between on-premises and cloud environments.
Learn more about Komprise Intelligent Data Management: Unified data control plane for file and object data analytics, mobility and management without creating a bottleneck and never being in the hot data path.
Backup and Disaster Recovery
- Snapshot and Backup: Regularly capture snapshots and backups of file data to protect against data loss or corruption.
- Disaster Recovery Planning: Implement strategies to quickly recover file data in the event of a disaster or data loss incident.
Integrated Management and Monitoring
- Unified Dashboard: A centralized management interface for overseeing file data services across on-premises and cloud environments.
- Monitoring Tools: Tools for tracking performance, usage, and potential issues in the hybrid cloud file storage infrastructure.
Implementing hybrid cloud file data services requires careful planning, integration, and management to ensure a seamless and efficient experience for users while maximizing the benefits of both on-premises and cloud-based data storage solutions.