Cloud migration refers to the movement of data, processes, and applications from on-premises storage or legacy infrastructure to cloud-based infrastructure for storage, application processing, data archiving and ongoing data lifecycle management. Komprise offers analytics-driven cloud migration tools that integrate with most leading cloud service providers, such as Google Cloud, Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, Wasabi, IBM Cloud and more.
Benefits of Cloud Migration
Migrating to the cloud can offer many advantages – lower operational costs, greater elasticity, and flexibility. Migrating data to the cloud in a native format also ensures you can leverage the computational capabilities of the cloud and not just use it as a cheap storage tier. When migrating to the cloud, you need to consider both the application as well as its data. While application footprints are generally small and relatively easier to migrate, cloud data migrations need careful planning and execution as data footprints can be large. Cloud migration with Komprise allows you to:
- Plan a data migration strategy using analytics before migration. A pre-migration analysis helps you identify which files need to be migrated, plan how to organize the data to maximize the efficiency of the migration process. It’s important to know how data is used and to determine how large and how old files are throughout the storage system. Since data footprints often reach billions of files, planning a migration is critical.
- Improve scalability with Elastic Data Migration. Data migrations can be time consuming as they involve moving hundreds of terabytes to petabytes of data. Since storage that data is migrating from is usually still in use during the migration, the data migration solution needs to move data as fast as possible without slowing down user access to the source storage. This requires a scalable architecture that can leverage the inherent parallelism of the data sets to migrate multiple data streams in parallel without overburdening any single source storage. Komprise uses a patented elastic data migration architecture that maximizes parallelism while throttling back as needed to preserve source data storage performance.
- Shrink cloud migration time. When compared to generic tools used across heterogeneous cloud and physical storage, Komprise cloud data migration is nearly 30x faster. Performance is maximized at every level with the auto parallelize feature, minimizing network usage and making migration over WAN more efficient.
- Reduce ongoing cloud storage costs with intelligent tiering and data lifecycle management in the cloud. Migrating to the cloud can reduce the amount spent on IT needs, storage maintenance, and hardware upgrades as these are typically handled by the cloud provider. Most clouds provide multiple storage classes at different price points – Komprise intelligently moves data to the right storage class in the cloud based on your policy and performs ongoing data lifecycle management in the cloud to reduce storage cost. Unlike cloud intelligent tiering classes, Komprise tiers across both S3 and Glacier storage classes so you get the best cost savings.
- Simplify storage management. With a Komprise cloud migration, you can use a single solution across your multivendor storage and multicloud architectures. All you have to do is connect via open standards – pick the SMB, NFS, and S3 sources along with the appropriate destinations and Komprise handles the rest. You also get a dashboard to monitor and manage all of your migrations from one place. No more sunk costs of point migration tools because Komprise provides ongoing data lifecycle management beyond the data migration.
- Greater resource availability. Moving your data to the cloud allows it to be accessed from wherever users may be, making your it easier for international businesses to store and access their data from around the world. Komprise delivers native data access so you can directly access objects and files in the cloud without getting locked in to your NAS vendor—or even to Komprise.
Cloud Data Migration Process
The cloud data migration process can differ widely based on a company’s storage needs, business model, environment of current storage, and goals for the new cloud-based system. Below are the main steps involved in migrating to the cloud.
Step 1 – Analyze Current Storage Environment and Create Migration Strategy
A smooth migration to the cloud requires proper planning to ensure that all bases are covered before the migration begins. It’s important to understand why the move is beneficial and how to get the most out of the new cloud-based features before the process continues.
Step 2 – Choose Your Cloud Deployment Environment
After taking a thorough look at the current resource requirements across your storage system, you can choose who will be your cloud storage provider(s). At this stage, it’s decided which type of hardware the system will use, whether it’s used in a single or multi-cloud solution, and if the cloud solution will be public or private.
Step 3 – Migrate Data and Applications to the Cloud
Application workload migration to the cloud can be done through generic tools. However, since data migration involves moving petabytes of data and billions of files, you need a data management software solution that can migrate data efficiently in a number of ways including through a public internet connection, a private internet connection, (LAN or a WAN), etc.
Step 4 – Validate Data After Migration
Once the migration is complete, the data within the cloud can be validated and production access to the storage system can be swapped from on-premises to the cloud. Data validation often requires MD5 checksum on every file to ensure the integrity of the data is intact after migration.
Komprise Cloud Data Migration
With Elastic Data Migration from Komprise, you can affordably run and manage hundreds of migrations across many different platforms simultaneously. Gain access to a full suite of high-speed cloud migration tools from a single dashboard that takes on the heavy lifting of migrations, and moves your data nearly 30x faster than traditional available services—all without any access disruption to users or apps.
Our team of cloud migration professionals with over two decades of experience developing efficient IT solutions have helped businesses around the world provide faster and smoother data migrations with total confidence and none of the headaches. Contact us to learn more about our cloud data migration solution or sign up for a free trial to see the benefits beyond data migration with our analytics-driven Intelligent Data Management solution.