Many enterprises are contemplating or in the midst of a cloud data migration. Last week Komprise kicked off a webinar series focused on Smart Data Migration, to help IT and storage leaders navigate this complex set of processes for file and object cloud migrations.
Smart Data Migration for File and Object Data
A “smart data migration” strategy for enterprise file data means an analytics-first approach ensuring you know which data can migrate, to which class and tier, and which data should stay on-premises in your hybrid cloud storage infrastructure. The first session of the series introduced the topic and provided a deep dive demonstration of the Komprise Elastic Data Migration solution.
Preparing for a File and Object Data Migration
What you need to know before you go. In this interactive session we’ll review the checklist for to prepare for a file and object data migration. Hear from the experts and learn best practices as you invest in a more Intelligent Data Migration, Management and Mobility strategy with Komprise.
Cloud Native Access — What is it and Why Does it Matter?
Get maximum value from your file and object data in the cloud. No penalty. No lock-in. In this interactive session we’ll discuss the growing importance of cloud native data access and dive into a demonstration of Komprise Transparent Move Technology™ and how we ensure you’re getting maximum value from your file and object data in the cloud.
File data’s time for the cloud has come
As the host for the first webinar, I wanted to take a few minutes to summarize the key points behind this series. As summarized in the Enterprise Storage Forum this week: The Cloud Storage Market is heating up.
Got Data? Data Storage Stats Cited in this Blog Include:
- IDC: Data volumes will grow from more than 70ZB currently to 175ZB by 2025;
- Cybersecurity Ventures: Data stored in the cloud will reach 100ZB by 2025;
- Flexera: 93% have adopted a multi-cloud strategy; But….
- Dell: 43% of IT decision makers fear their IT infrastructure won’t be able to handle future data demands;
- Accenture: 68% of companies are not able to realize tangible and valuable benefits from data;
- Forrester: Organizations which take a data-driven approach to decision-making grow more than 30% annually.
File data migrations are complex. File data can be petabytes of data and billions of files. Migrating this much data to the cloud takes time and can be disruptive. In the webinar we reviewed some of the differences between traditional storage data migrations and cloud data migrations.
File and object cloud data storage solutions have matured and are increasingly being deployed in the enterprise. Amazon FSX for NetApp ONTAP, Azure NetApp Files, Qumulo and other solutions are gaining traction; having the right data migration and cloud data management strategy is essential.
Unstructured Data Migration Options
There are many unstructured data management and cloud data migration options. Some considerations include:
- Data-centric vs. storage-centric approach?
- Free tools or point tools vs. a platform?
- Lift and shift or archive first?
- Which tier? Which cloud? Which approach?
It’s Time for Smart Data Migration
We define Smart Data Migration as an analytics-first approach ensuring you know which data can migrate, to which class and tier, and which data should stay on-premises in your hybrid cloud storage infrastructure.
Can you answer these questions today?
- What data do we have and where is it stored?
- What data sets are accessed most frequently (hot) and less frequently (cold)?
- What types of files and which comprise the most storage (image files, video, audio files, sensor data, etc.)?
- What is the cost of storing these different file types?
- Which types of files should be stored in a higher security level? (PII or IP data? Mission-critical projects?)
- Are we complying with regulations and internal policies with our unstructured data management practices?
We hope you enjoy these 30-minute webinars, which include demonstrations of Komprise Elastic Data Migration. Be sure to also subscribe to our YouTube channel.