As part of our Smart Data Migration webinar series, Benjamin Henry, chief customer success architect at Komprise, reviewed a series of best practices for enterprise IT organizations building a cloud data migration plan for your file and object unstructured data. Data migrations are a team sport. Having a checklist of what you need to know before you go will help ensure a faster, more effective cloud migration that meets your goals.
Here’s a summary of Ben’s recommendations:
1) Define Data Storage Sources and Targets
Develop a clear plan that reviews where you’ve come from and where you’re going. Understand point A and point B and don’t wait until the night before a migration to ensure this is clear.
- We see less storage vendor loyalty in today’s hybrid cloud world.
- Cloud native apps often need object storage. Are you prepared for this?
- Cloud NAS has matured. What is your plan?
- Do you still have requirements to keep data stored on premises?
2) Data Migration Rules & Regulations
Rules which you must adhere to are set by internal teams and may cover areas such as retention policy, legal hold and disaster recovery. Regulations are typically set by a governing body and typically involve fines if not followed, such as: HIPAA, SOX, GDPR.
- This is a good time to talk about partnerships within your organization. Partner with your legal and compliance teams.
- Get the data owners involved. Put it on the teams that care about the data so it’s not just on the shoulders of the storage team to establish the right data protection and unstructured data management strategy.
3) Know Your Unstructured Data: Data Discovery
When you do proper data discovery, you’ll understand your workloads and speed bumps. Do you have large files? Small files? Hundreds or thousands of shares? Bring other stakeholders into the process and have them take on responsibility with the right data. As we say at Komprise: Know First. Move Smart.
- Dual vs. mixed protocols: What is your permission strategy and how will this affect your migration?
- Simplify and standardize: just because you’ve been doing things a certain way in the past doesn’t mean it’s the right way in the cloud.
4) Smart Data Migration. Know Your Topology
Define your path and understand what you have and will need for bandwidth, latency, firewalls, etc. when it comes to your hybrid cloud migrations.
- A core objective is how to avoid bottlenecks ahead of time.
- What ports need to be open?
- Once again, bring in security and network teams.
5) Before You Migrate Data: Test, Test, Test
Test sources and targets, topology and migrations. Consider whitelisting. Know the limitations of your current file storage systems and your future targets.
- Don’t leave any stone unturned.
- The iPerf tool doesn’t just measure storage performance. Use it to understand how long it will take to move data across the wire.
- The iterative error-log feature of Komprise Elastic Data Migration is an example of ensuring you’re working with the right tools.
6) Free Tools Cloud Migration vs. Enterprise
Ben has a lot to say about the challenges of free tools – from manual scripting and scheduling to MD5 checksums and audit logs to multi-protocol support.
- Enterprise solutions have centralized configuration and management and can tier and archive. They are multi-user. The list goes on.
- There’s a big emphasis on automating, reporting and supportability: dig into the Komprise Elastic Data Management white paper to learn more.
7) Data Migration Communication Plan
This is a theme throughout the session. Ben recommends red/yellow/green status updates on messages and cross-functional reviews.
- People want to hear the positives. Avoid the blame game and celebrate the wins.
- Be concise and consistent in your communication.
- Once again, hybrid cloud file migrations are a team sport so communicate early and often throughout the process.
That’s a lot of information and insight packed into a 30 minute webinar. You can watch the recording on our YouTube channel.
I’ve also embedded it below for easy viewing: