Cloud budgets are straining, and the second biggest line item is storage. The toughest challenges to controlling these costs are poor visibility into cloud data and the complex, multiple factors involved in managing it. This contributes to over 80% of organizations missing out on available cost-saving options in the cloud.
Challenges of Cloud Data Management
Cloud administrators’ biggest challenges are poor visibility and the complexity of cloud data management. IT has no way of knowing even the basic unstructured data information to make better storage decisions:
- How fast is cloud data growing and who’s using it?
- How much is active hot data how much is less accessed cold data?
- How can you dig deeper to plan the best way to optimize cloud storage costs and minimize retrieval fees?
Cloud management administrators are responsible for a multi-factored billing headache:
- Cloud storage pricing can vary widely based on needs for storage, access, retrievals, API, transitions, initial transfer, and minimal storage-time fees
- Unexpected costs of moving data across different cloud storage providers or classes
Steps to Control Cloud Storage Costs
1. Gain Accurate Visibility Across Cloud Accounts into Actual Usage
Learn how to get your true cloud picture—across all your cloud accounts and services—no matter what vendors and cloud services you use. Learn more about Komprise Analysis.
2. Forecast Savings and Plan Cloud Data Management Strategies
Find out how to better understand your current cloud costs and establish a baseline with “what-if” scenarios to accurately project your company’s savings with cloud data analytics. Watch the webinar: What can Komprise Analysis Do For You?
3. Tier Data to Cloud Storage Based on Data Usage to Avoid Surprises
Learn the difference between basing cloud management policies on when data was last accessed (last read or written) vs. last modified. Learn more about Cold Data Tiering with Komprise.
4. Easier Cloud Migrations
Cloud migration tools need to simplify the time-consuming, error-prone task for you. The brief explains the essential features you should demand in a solution.