Effective archiving of unstructured data is elusive for many organizations. Some are hesitant because they’re uncertain which data to archive or creating access problems once it’s off primary storage. Most of our customers discover that ~75% of their data is cold. Transparent Move Technology™ (TMT) lets you archive that data off primary storage without any user disruption, cutting storage costs, decreasing backup windows, and enhancing performance of hot data.
What Komprise is doing is really interesting in that they can look at data from all aspects, whether it’s capacity that needs to be reduced or better utilized by storing it on a different tier, like the cloud.
- Users can access archived data the same as before, no matter where it’s been moved
- Access via the same source, same directory and in the same way, even if it’s in the cloud
- Retain the same security workflows
RETAIN ACCESS WITH STANDARD PROTOCOLS
- Leaves behind a symbolic link as a pointer containing all the properties of the original file
- Users and apps continue to see and open files from the original location, keeping all the permissions and access controls intact
WORKS AT THE FILE LEVEL, NOT BLOCK LEVEL
- Komprise uses file tiering, which has full metadata fidelity
- Block-level tiering moves blocks between the various tiers to cost-effectively boost performance, but it’s meaningless without metadata, which can only be accessed with their proprietary software
- No data rehydration during backup or when you end-of-life the source NAS
NO ACCESS INTERFERENCE TO HOT DATA OR HOT METADATA
- Zero performance degradation of hot data
- No invasive agents or stubs to disrupt users, applications, or the data protection workflows
- Accessible from your source NAS and from your target storage (object/cloud) – unlike array tiering solutions that require access through the source only